Startup data benchmarking company Compass has released its second Startup Ecosystem Report. In the three years since the previous report, New York City has overtaken Tel Aviv in the rankings to become the second most significant startup ecosystem in the world, behind Silicon Valley. London is ranked sixth globally and first in the EU, validating claims made by our CEO Gerard Grech last month in the Guardian that London/UK is in fact the tech capital of Europe.
The index is produced by ranking ecosystems along five major components: Performance, Funding, Talent, Market Reach, and Startup Experience.
1. The London ecosystem has become more interconnected and startup teams have become more international
2. London has quadrupled in exit growth between the years 2010-2014
3. Total venture capital investment across the top 20 ecosystems rose 95% from 2013 to 2014
4. The startup ecosystems which made the biggest leaps are New York, Austin, Bangalore, Singapore, and Chicago.
5. The lack of gender equality is common across all startup ecosystems. No ecosystem comes close to an equal share of male and female founders
For more, request a copy of the report directly.